On Sun, Nov 08 2020, Rafael Sadowski <raf...@sizeofvoid.org> wrote:
> On Sun Nov 08, 2020 at 01:46:14AM +0100, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas wrote:
>>
>> This diff drops boost_python27 and boost_numpy27.  I switched the
>> defaults to python3 but the boost-build .py files aren't ready for that
>> (using python3 -m compileall fails with syntax errors). No idea how
>> used/useful boost-build actually is or how maintainers want to deal with
>> this python2/3 mix.  One possible approach would be to run 2to3 on
>> those files, but this doesn't catch all the py2->py3 gotchas.
>
> I also worked on it yesterday and found the same py2->py3 issue.

So what do you think should be done? :)

I can propose:
1. keep the diff as is, it looks weird but maybe boost-build still works fine
   (no idea how to test that)
2. drop the boost-build parts until a new release brings proper python3
   support
3. some hacks to make the current boost-build work with python3 (I have
   nothing against it but I'd prefer not to care about this myself)

Or... maybe your ok below was about the whole diff (thus option 1) and
not just the make fake speedup?

>> Feedback welcome.
>>
>> Unrelated, the do-install part has bugged me since some time.  It
>> copies ~15000 headers, forking one install(1) process per header file.
>> This is expensive, on my builder the diff below moves make fake from
>> ~4mn to ~4sec.  I'd like to commit this seperately.  oks?
>
> Nice work! Yes please! OK rsadowski@

[...]

--
jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE