I am not sure what changed in the current packages, but brlaser stopped
working for me.

Cups thinks it was able to print, and the printer LCD still says it is
receiving data, but nothing is actually printed.

I have tried setting LogLevel to debug in cupsd.conf, but found nothing
interesting in the logs.

The first two filters were pdftopdf and gstoraster. I tried running both
manually and got readable pdf and raster files (according to
https://github.com/michaelrsweet/rasterview.git).

Not sure how to debug the output of rastertobrlaser.

I was able to get the printer working by changing the driver to "Generic
PCL 6/PCL XL Printer Foomatic/pxlmono".

The printer description is at:

https://support.brother.com/g/b/spec.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=dcpl2540dw_us_as

Cheers,