Ingo Schwarze:

> There is another reason why now is a good time to switch priorities.
> Upstream has been doing lots of work on documentation, and in that
> context, they decided to use newer makeinfo(1) features that our
> ancient /usr/bin/makeinfo does not support.  The natural consequence
> is to make groff depend on the print/texinfo port and use the newer
> gmakeinfo(1) version contained in that port to format the groff
> documentation.  (Yes, the irony that groff does *not* use roff for
> its own documentation but instead uses TeX is not lost on me.)

It is GNU project policy that distribution tarballs include
pre-formatted .info files so that makeinfo is NOT required.
... Although, I guess that groff wants to build HTML/PDF documentation?

The need for a newer makeinfo will bite us more and more, especially
porters who are not as comfortable disentangling the dependencies
and touch(1)ing the correct files when upstream make a mistake while
creating the tarball and the autotools build cascade goes off and
wants to re-run makeinfo without need...

> Now, print/texinfo isn't exactly a lean port.  Here is its
> list of dependencies according to "make full-all-depends":

Installing this monster for a newer makeinfo(1) will sooner or later
trap us in a recursive dependency.

>  * Texinfo is needed to build the documentation.  The alternative
>    would be to ship groff without documentation and point people to
>    https://www.gnu.org/software/groff/manual/html_node/ .
>    But frankly, we don't generally like telling people "get the
>    manual from the web" in OpenBSD.

Actually, we tend not to build documentation that requires pulling
in dependencies like Doxygen or, well, TeXLive.  (Admittedly, much
Doxygen-generated documentation seems very poor in the first place
and just regurgitates header files.)

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          na...@mips.inka.de