On Tue, Feb 09, 2021 at 01:47:37PM +0000, Laurence Tratt wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 09, 2021 at 10:57:32PM +1100, Jonathan Gray wrote:
>
> Hello Jonathan,
>
> > See previous libva discussions.  If it is to support more than just Intel
> > it needs to be in xenocara and new Mesa Makefiles will need to be written.
> >
> > That would also be the case to use gallium-va with the iris Mesa driver for
> > Intel >= gen8.
>
> I'm not aware of the previous discussions, but I'm not sure if you're saying
> "don't put it in ports" or not?

Yes. On AMD graphics (and I guess Intel >= gen8) Mesa needs to be linked
with libva, and Mesa is a part of xenocara. Building the base system does
not depend on ports.

> Even if it means that *only* Intel hardware benefits for the time being, this
> port is really very useful and I've been working with Eugene to test his
> work. Now that I've got it up and running, it's pretty impressive: for
> example, on my OpenBSD machine, ffmpeg video encoding on a test file went
> from 6m30 down to 2m20 (also, not coincidentally, moving from fully consuming
> all 4 cores at to consuming only a small portion of 1 core).

It's certainly something that would be nice to have, and has been
attempted a few times. Someone just needs to pick up the work that has
been started by others.

The original ports discussions:

https://marc.info/?t=157626475700001&r=1&w=2
https://marc.info/?t=157587390400001&r=1&w=2

..when it moved to tech@ to attempt xenocara integration:

https://marc.info/?t=157676538600003&r=1&w=2

> If nothing else, support in ports might be a useful stepping stone on the way
> to having libva in xenocara which, I imagine, is a rather harder job?
>
> Laurie

Putting something into ports knowing that it's the wrong place feels
wrong, and will undoubtedly cause friction later when moved to base.

-Bryan.