I'm using gdm-3.38.2.1p2 on -current amd64 but gdm doesn't run from service.
When I start it manually as root, I get the following error:

Failed to execute child process ?/usr/bin/X? (No such file or directory)
gdm[35034]: Gdm: Could not start the X server (your graphical environment) due
to an internal error. Please contact your system administrator or check your
syslog to diagnose. In the meantime this display will be disabled.  Please
restart GDM when the problem is corrected.
gdm[35034]: Gdm: GdmDisplay: Session never registered, failing

I can run it by making a symbolic link from /usr/X11R6/bin/X to /usr/bin/X
but this is wrong.