On Mon, 17 May 2021 07:56:22 -0600, "Todd C. Miller" wrote:

> The crash does not happen when I build cbmc manually (outside of
> ports), only when I build it from within the ports tree.

The crash only happens when output is to a terminal but TERM is
unset or is set to a value not present in the terminfo db.  If
output is to a pipe or file there is no crash, presumably because
textstyle disables itself.  When cbmc is built via ports TERM is
not set, resulting in a crash.

It looks like libtextstyle is completely broken when the output is
a terminal but TERM is either unset or set to a value not in the
terminfo db.  Not only does libtextstyle not check for setupterm()
failure correctly, it calls tputs() regardless of whether or not
setupterm() succeeded.

Looking at the code it seems clear that building bison without
libtextstyle is the way to go.

 - todd