On OpenBSD 4.0 amd64, I built 2.6.1.4 with mysql support from sources.
Since that didn't work, I used the snort-2.6.0.2.tar.gz distfile from
ftp.openbsd.org, no luck there either. (Also in one case, I used the
ports files for snort from 4.1 ports to make sure I didn't make any
config mistakes.)

Since they all failed, on a fresh install of 4.1 amd64, I downloaded and
installed snort-2.6.0.2p1-mysql package directly. But I ran into the
same problem.

The following is what snort spits out:

ERROR: database: mysql_error: Can't connect to local MySQL server
through socket '/var/run/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
Fatal Error, Quitting..

When this error occurs, I assure you that MySQL server runs fine (with
snort database/tables created properly) and there is no file permission
problems.

After all, I am able to use mysql output plugin successfully with
2.4.5-mysql package on 4.0. (But I need 2.6.x.x on amd64 due to
timestamp problem.)

Therefore, if I have not been doing something terribly wrong in my many
trials for the last couple of days, I think I'll conclude that mysql
output plugin with 2.6.x.x is broken (at least on OpenBSD amd64).

Has anybody else noticed the same issue?