Ingo Schwarze wrote:
> Hi Jesse, hi Walt,
>
> Jesse Scott schrieb am Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 05:18:11AM +0100:
>> walt wrote:

>>> So far I've figured out that I need to switch to xenocara also,
>>> but how?  Are the binary snapshots the only way at the moment?
>>> Any way to build from source?

>> This should help you build xenocara from source:
>> http://mersenne.homeunix.net/zaurusforums/viewtopic.php?t=220

For some reason that website won't load for me, so I used
Matthieu's instructions which worked on the first try.
Thanks to Jesse and Matthieu both.
> I have been running xenocara before the first snapshot was available,
> in fact even before 4.1 was tagged, because i have been working on
> some ports depending on X (e.g., psi and amaya).

Thanks for supporting open source!

> Compiling
> xenocara itself was not difficult, but after that, manually
> recompiling all the ports depending on it was a huge amount of
> work...

Yes, I wish the port update process could be a bit more automated.
I still just run 'out-of-date' and do one port at at time by hand --
which is less painful now than it was, thanks to Marc's work on the
build infrastructure.

I've tried FBSD portage, NetBSD pkgsrc, the gentoo e-build portage
system, and the venerable Debian dpkg system (which positively drives
me nuts) -- so I'm watching to see if Marc ever makes this easy to do.

Marc, don't let me down ;o)