On Thursday 12 April 2007 12:39:43 Ingo Schwarze wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> STeve Andre' wrote on Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 10:04:06AM -0400:

> >> It also dies with an alignment error on alpha (in regress).
> >>
> >> How about actually fixing the code rather than slapping on a list
> >> of archs where this accidentally happens to run?
> >
> > This brings up the issue of wether a porter needs to have access
> > to all the arches supported in order to submit something.   That it
> > fails on the alpha isn't good, but should that preclue its inclusion?
> > if it were in the ports tree and someone with an alpha that wanted
> > to use it found it didn't work, they could work on it as well.
> >
> > This is a useful port right now.  It could stand to be improved by
> > getting it to work on other arches ,  but should (i386, amd64) be
> > deprived of it?
>
> I fear you miss part of the point.  Christian suspects the software
> to be buggy.  When bugs surface on some archs, who tells you they
> are harmless on others, even when they don't cause outright crashes?
>
> As far as i understand, this is more about getting a correct port
> into the tree than about hindering porters doing their work.
> Of course, everybody can propose ports tested on one single arch,
> but in case bugs are found, working together in order to fix them
> does look like a good idea.
>
> Of course, Josh will need help from someone having access to alpha,
> sparc64, or vax.  Let's hope someone who can help will get in touch
> with Josh...  Unfortunately, i have none of these archs.
>
> Yours,
>   Ingo

Hello Ingo,

I'm aware and agree that the "All the world's an i386" is not good.  I
have crashed into that enough times in the past.

But at the same time, does a port submission have to work on all
14+ architectures to get in the the tree?

As it stands now p7zip is useful for several platforms.  I'd like to see
it get better, and I should stop slacking and do something useful
like help stare at it.  I'll need to find hardware though.

--STeve Andre'