Omar Polo <o...@omarpolo.com> writes:

> Hello ports@,
>
> motivated by the fact that godot 4.0 will require scons 3+, I tried to
> update devel/scons to a newer release.  The update involves a switch
> from python 2 to 3 and some failure in ports.
>
> The patch below address only scons, a follow-up email will include fixes
> for the dependant ports (except for databases/mongodb that gets its own
> thread.)
>
> One curious thing is that now some ports needs an additional -fPIC that
> was previously added by scons.  I grepped the sources for a while but
> didn't noticed anything relevant.  I've been able to successfully build
> dummy shared libraries using a simple SConstruct and it works so I've no
> idea what's happening in devel/serf and misc/gpsd.
>
> Some highlights regarding the patch itself:
>
>  - the installation path changed, hence the enormous plist diff
>  - switched HOMEPAGE to https while there
>  - MODPY_ADJ_FILES doesn't seem to be needed anymore
>  - bcallah@ asked to be dropped as maintainer (several times apparently)
>

> Cheers,
>
> Omar Polo

I left by accident a `gas' instead of `as'.  It didn't break anything
because nothing in ports uses scons to compile assembly.

I've also ran the tests (from the github repo, somehow they're not
present in the sourceforge tarball): 15 tests fails and 193 are skipped
of 1224 tests, which seems good.

Looking at the failures I noted a discrepancy between the documentation
and the behaviour: the documentation says that on OpenBSD the produced
libraries have a X.Y naming scheme, while scons always produces X.Y.Z
named files...  The SharedLibrary code was rewritten recently and they
forgot this case.  It also installs more files now, for example
misc/gpsd built with scons 4 installs

        lib/libgps.so           (symlink to libgps.so.22.0)
        lib/libpgs.so.22        (symlink to libgps.so.22.0)
        lib/libgps.so.22.0

I have to go back reading SharedLibrary.py & co.  The scons update is
not yet ready as I hoped.

Sorry for the noise.

Omar Polo