Frederic Cambus <f...@statdns.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 05, 2022 at 10:17:00PM +0200, Frederic Cambus wrote:
>
> > Here is a new port: lang/binaryen
> >
> > Tests assume a local copy of GoogleTest is present, but it's not bundled
> > in the distribution tarball. I patched the relevant CMakeLists.txt to
> > disable the attempt to build a local copy and added a LIB_DEPENDS on
> > devel/gtest instead.
> >
> > From DESCR:
> >
> > Binaryen is a compiler and toolchain infrastructure library for WebAssembly,
> > written in C++. It aims to make compiling to WebAssembly easy, fast, and
> > effective.
> >
> > * Easy: Binaryen has a simple C API in a single header, and can also be used
> >   from JavaScript. It accepts input in WebAssembly-like form but also
> > accepts
> >   a general control flow graph for compilers that prefer that.
> >
> > * Fast: Binaryen's internal IR uses compact data structures and is designed
> >   for completely parallel codegen and optimization, using all available CPU
> >   cores. Binaryen's IR also compiles down to WebAssembly extremely easily
> > and
> >   quickly because it is essentially a subset of WebAssembly.
> >
> > * Effective: Binaryen's optimizer has many passes (see an overview later
> >   down) that can improve code size and speed. These optimizations aim to

nit: i'd drop the parentesized sentence, there's nothing below :)

> >   make Binaryen powerful enough to be used as a compiler backend by itself.
> >   One specific area of focus is on WebAssembly-specific optimizations (that
> >   general-purpose compilers might not do), which you can think of as wasm
> >   minification, similar to minification for JavaScript, CSS, etc., all of
> >   which are language-specific.
> >
> > Comments? OK?
>
> Ping. Anyone willing to look at this?
>
> Tarball reattached for convenience.

ok op@

i'd add a comment before the COMPILER line that this wants C++17 just in
case but otherwise looks good.  I don't know how to properly run-test it
other than playing with the examples in the README but the built-in
tests are passing too.