On 2022/05/28 01:53, Juan Picca wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> *For me*, currently, is not easy to list the available font packages
> to install.
>
> The output of `pkg_info -Q font` gives me a heterogeneous list of
> package names.  Some examples:
>
> * `amigafonts-1.02p1` - suffix, no separator
> * `apl-fonts-1.0p0` - suffix, separator
> * `b612-font-1.008` - suffix, separator, non plural
> * `farsifonts-ttf-0.4p3` - suffix + type (ttf), no separator
> * `font-awesome-6.1.1` - prefix, separator, non plural
> * `fontforge-20120731p5` - program :)
> * `ja-fonts-funet-19911117p2` - lang (ja) + prefix
> * `mixfont-mplus-ipa-20060520p7` - as part of the prefix
>
> On the other hand and without doubt, a seasoned openbsd user (or not so)
> has a copy of the ports tree at hand and can list the fonts under
> the `fonts` category.  There, he can see that some ports as `spleen` or
> `abyssinica` are also packages for fonts available to install.
>

> Thinking on improving this, what about if the prefix `fonts-`
> is added to all the fonts packages?
>

> To start, a low hang fruit can be add the prefix `fonts-` to
> `PKGNAME` in:

Improving search facilities would also help this problem in a
lower-impact way, and would help some other situations too.

For starters if pkg_info -P worked in combination with -Q (which it
doesn't currently) then something like "pkg_info -P -Q font" would make
it easier to see what is and what isn't a font. (you can do "pkg_info
-qP `pkg_info -Q font`" but it's not really friendly :)

btw there is also pkg_mgr if you want a way to browse things without
fetching the ports tree..

I don't really see a change which means changes (even if relatively
minor) to 150 ports, carrying yet more quirks entries and decoupling
package names from directory names, and requiring changes from
users doing automation to install packages as particularly low-hanging..