Kenneth Westerback <kwesterb...@gmail.com> writes:

> Nam Nguyen <n...@berkeley.edu> writes:
>
>> Kenneth Westerback writes:
>>
>>> Alas, I can't make the emacs-28.2-gtk3 I downloaded from the link jca@
>>> provided work. :-(
>>>
>>> If I do my normal 'emacs --daemon' from i3 I get two (?) running 'emacs
>>> --daemon' processes and 'emacsclient -c' does not seem to do anything.
>>> If I just do 'emacs' it flashes the startup screen briefly, goes black
>>> and then doesn't do much else. At least I only get 1 emacs process.
>>>
>>> No idea if there is a newer package available to test, or if there is a
>>> library dependency that I managed to break during my
>>> g2k22/EuroBSDCon2022 travels.
>>
>> I cannot reproduce this with both building a package and jca@'s provided
>> package. I see only the expected behavior with one `emacs --daemon' and
>> multiple emacs clients being able to connect and see the same instance
>> using multiple `emacsclient -c'.
>>
>> Here are some sanity checks to try:
>>
>> 1. make sure snapshot is updated
>
> Just installed the amd64 snapshot I built overnight from -current and the
> unfortunate behaviour of 28.2 on my E595 did not change.
>>
>> 2. reinstall emacs-28.1. does `emacs --daemon' and `emacsclient -c' work
>>    there?
>
> Yep. Typing this in mu4e in doom emacs with 28.1, after emacs --daemon,
> emacsclient -c.
>

>> 3. test in a different window manager like dwm
>
> I'll try whatever the default is (fvwm?) and see what happens.

No behaviour change in fvwm. Except ... when I 'close' the black window
I get a message box pop up and say it can't find something called
'cl-seq'. Which then quickly vanishes along with the emacs window.

Reinstalling 28.1 and searching the whole disk did not disclose the
presence of anything called cl-seq.

>> 4. use -q to ignore .emacs config
>>    emacs --daemon -q
>>    emacsclient -c
>
> I will add that to the test queue as the espresso machine heats up.

And that works!

>> 5. maybe some alias issue? use full paths
>>    /usr/local/bin/{emacs,emacsclient} to be sure
>
> No aliases defined.
>

>> 6. try `emacs -q' by itself since you said even emacs flashes screen
>>    briefly and goes black

'emacs -q' also works fine.

> Will do.
>

>> When I try to launch emacs --daemon multiple times it errors out the
>> second time as expected.
>>

>>> This is on an amd64 Lenovo E595.
>>>
>>> Happy to provide any potentially useful debug info or test stuff.
>>>
>>> .... Ken

So I will go see if I can debug what part of doom is getting upset
enough to prevent 28.2 from working.

'cuz life without doom, magit and mu4e is not worth living. :-)

--
.... Ken