On Mon, 3 Oct 2022, Alexandre Ratchov wrote:
On Sun, Sep 25, 2022 at 04:17:06PM +0000, adr wrote:

This patch does that, following the alsa and oss drivers.
I CC'd it to ports@

could you provide a quick hint on how to test it? I rebuild xine-lib
(add a debug printf to make sure changes of the .so are used by xine).

I don't think you need to recompile xine-ui, but it is fast to
compile it anyway.  You don't need to add printf, if the plugin is
loaded correctly you'll have a new option in the audio section to
select the speakers.

If you don't see this option, something went wrong. Note that there
is an option in the gui section to select the level of configuration
presented to the user.

I would avoid editing by hand .xine/config until you are sure things
are ok.

Note that xine is unstable in openbsd, prepare yourself for
unexpected segfaults (I suspect openbsd doesn't like xine
optimizations). Use unscaled ttf fonts for subtitles. Also you
can't seek correctly on mkv files (this bug affects other OSes),
copy the streams into a different container.

But as I said before, no other player performs better with no
hardware acceleration.

I tried to play this file:

$ ffprobe ~/Downloads/Surround\ Sound\ Test\ PCM\ 5.1.m2ts 2>&1 | grep Audio
 Stream #0:1[0x1100]: Audio: pcm_bluray (HDMV / 0x564D4448), 48000 Hz,
5.1(side), s16, 4608 kb/s

I haven't tried multichannel PCM, but I've tested AAC and A/52
streams. By the way, there is an internal A/52 downmixer but I
can't remember if it is available with liba52 disabled.

In respect to force the downmix into sndiod, yes I'm with you. But
until the developers agree on how to implement it, better to be
able to hear an audio stream correctly, don't you think? The patch
is really small. Now I think is better to not ask upstream but to
keep it as a patch until sndiod is fixed.