On 23/01/07 00:20, Ashlen wrote:
> As for the renaming thing, I realized I didn't actually provide any links
> showing why I kept this in. I looked at the commits and it appears their
> rationale is that anyone that writes a Lua script and imports luasocket as
> well
> as another module that happens to have an identical buffer_* will have a
> headache due to name collisions. Though if that's the case, it makes me wonder
> why FreeBSD backed out the patch in the commit op@ mentioned.
>
> https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/ports/net/luasocket/patches/patch-src_buffer_c?rev=1.2&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
> https://marc.info/?l=freebsd-ports-bugs&m=125089202109336&w=2
> https://marc.info/?l=freebsd-ports&m=125097467421558&w=2

Hey Robert, I CC'ed you because I need to ask you something. You were originally
the person who made patches renaming 'buffer_*' to 'ls_buffer_*' in
net/luasocket due to them creating a namespace clash with other ports. I know
this was all the way back in 2009, but can you let me know if changing those is
still necessary? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but I wanted to double check to
make sure since there was some discussion about it earlier.

I meant to test it myself and therefore avoid bothering you, but it's been a
week and I'm realizing I'm not going to get to it in a timely manner (I don't
know how to write in Lua yet).

(Side note for the other people in the thread: testing against those two other
ports is on my TODO list. Life has just been crazy lately and it's been a
struggle to get organized again... sorry for the delay on that)