Sorry for the delay!

On 2023/04/05 16:04:36 -0300, Lucas de Sena <lu...@seninha.org> wrote:
> > One thing that I could never make to work is dmenu: I have it
> > installed, but upon ctrl-g I get this error printed on the terminal
> > where I started xfiles:
> >
> >     X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
> >       Major opcode of failed request:  62 (X_CopyArea)
> >       Serial number of failed request:  69
> >       Current serial number in output stream:  70
> >
> > but this is not an issue with the port :)
>
> That's a bug on dmenu side.
>
> When asked to be embedded into another window, dmenu creates its own
> window directly inside the embedder/parent window, inheriting the
> colormap, color depth and visual from it.  However, all the drawing
> operations that dmenu does use the default colormap, color depth and
> visual from X11's root window.
>
> The error happens because XFiles (the embedder window) and consequenctly
> dmenu (the embedded window) have a 32-bit color depth, with alpha
> channel for transparency; while the root window has a 24-bit color
> depth, without alpha channel.  When commiting the drawing into dmenu's
> window with the X_CopyArea request, a BadMatch error occurs (because the
> colormap and depth do not match).
>
> A solution for dmenu developers could be to either simply use the
> default X11 colormap, color depth, and visual from the root window
> (rather than inheriting from the parent); or create the dmenu window
> under X11 root window and them reparent it to the embedder.
>
> dmenu's alpha patch may fix this bug, but I have not tried it.

I tried with a dmenu clone I wrote some time ago and with that it
works fine :)

(probably because it uses 32-bit color depth too, dunno)

> > P.S.: maybe, since xfiles(1) mentions xfilesctl and xfilesthumb we
> >       could install them in /usr/local/bin and tell users to put their
> >       own modified version in ~/bin if wanted.  It'd be slightly more
> >       user-friendly I guess.
>
> The user is encouraged to build their own xfilesctl and xfilesthumb
> script, so I think we should install them as examples rather than
> installing them on the system.

Agreed

I'm attaching a slightly tweaked version your port:

 - alphabetically sorted MAKE_FLAGS entries

 - README tweaked to follow the standard template, plus some other
   minor tweaks.

If you're fine with it, the attached port is ok op@ to import.

Thanks!