On 2023/04/21 10:06:48 +0100, Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org> wrote:
> On 2023/04/21 10:57, Theo Buehler wrote:
> > Thank you. I'm not convinced this is simpler.
> >
> > Is the Makefile superficially simpler and is maintaining the port
> > simpler than with my version? How do I update this if there is a new
> > commit? With my version I bump the date and modify the commit hash like
> > I do in quite a few of my other ports.

it just looked a bit more like an usual go port, and probably slightly
more future-proof if they start to depend on packages outside the go
stdlib.

just for reference, to update it would have been a

        $ go list -m github.com/google/der-ascii@c8bb0d34
        github.com/google/der-ascii v0.0.0-20230412183205-c8bb0d34a6e5

and then set MODGO_VERSION to the version reported there.  The commit
id provided after the @ can be abbreviated.

> > I fear what you did will make my life more complicated.

agreed; as things are right now it would require one more step (go
list) instead of just bumping the commit id.

I'd still slightly prefer the version with MODGO_MODNAME/VERSION but
won't object either.

> Agreed, it feels like it would result in a lot of extra steps to update.
>
> Personally I'd skip DERASCII_DOCDIR and PKGSTEM and just use this,
> I find it easier to parse, but it's your bikeshed :)

+1

> OK either way.

same for me.