On 2023/06/11 09:51, Joel Knight wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 10, 2023 at 3:00 AM Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org> wrote:
> >
> > It does make sense for upstream to only use the specific tested versions
> > with their bundled binary distribution but when they make it as hard
> > requirements into the source distribution too, it means that it's barely
> > usable for pip installs (in virtualenvs only, really, to isolate it from
> > other software) and probably every OS wanting to package it is going to
> > need to patch those away. And really, why should every OS wanting to
> > package it go to the trouble of doing this (and redoing for every/most
> > updates)?
>
> As I said in private, I do agree. I'll work with upstream to try improve this.

Thanks.

> New port attached which patches the dep versions. This builds and
> installs on -current.

This doesn't fix my main issue, which is that updating one of these
key Python modules will break awscliv2's version checks; this puts a
significant extra load on whoever is updating those. And those modules
really need to be updatable more easily when someone has time, otherwise
we end up with many outdated modules, which in turn makes it harder to
update to a newer branch for the default Python version (often fixes
for incompatibilities are gradually added in newer version of various
modules). Additionally for things like Cryptography, being able to
update fairly freely to newer versions can be helpful for LibreSSL as
they are pretty good at keeping on top of our changes there.

So rather than just patching away version checks and setting
BUILD/RUN_DEPENDS for the things which _currently_ don't match, I'd like
it to remove all the tight checks unless there's a particularly good
reason for a specific check to be there. (I am OK with importing this
if that is done).