On 2023/07/07 11:17, Marc Espie wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 06, 2023 at 05:49:04PM +0200, Jeremie Courreges-Anglas wrote:

> > > I lost interest when it turned into a load mkre complication and a new
> > > tool to verify pgp signatures that would only run on certain archs
> > > and reverted to my previous method, "stick a shell script in the port
> > > directory that will download and check the signature when run by hand".
> >
> > Your original approach looked good to me.  Was the additional
> > complexity warranted by security or usability concerns?
> >
> > You mention a "new tool", I would prefer if we kept using security/gnupg
> > instead of some go/rust program, precisely for portability reasons.
> >
> > --
> > jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE
> >

> Looking at sthen's patch. How verbose is gnu-gpg ?
> Specifically, is the "signature failed message" enough to identify
> which file failed.
>
> I'm not too sure about the BUILD_DEPENDS: gnupg has got a lot of dependencies.
>
> I see the distinct possibility of build loops if CHECK_PGPSIG was set
> indiscriminately in mk.conf.

hmm - perhaps it would be better in a different make target (or not
handling verification from make at all; just provide a way to list/fetch
ignature files so they can be handled externally, say via a script that
uses "make show=SIGFILES").

I wasn't intending for this to be used indiscriminately - in particular
I didn't want to have this extend into key management, just use what
your normal user account has specifically added and trusted - so given
that, it's unlikely that it would even be able to verify files for
ports other than ones that you're particularly interested in.