On 07/24, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> pkg_add -u will display MESSAGE if it changed since the previous version
> so the user can easily find information about how to fix it. (The
> downside is that it's displayed for new installs with "pkg_add gitea"
> too).
>
> Another way is simply to list changes needed in faq/current.html (which
> is usually copied over to the upgrade notes for the next OpenBSD
> release). But on an interactive update, this is easier to miss than
> MESSAGE.
> This situation (upstream requiring config changes) is not uncommon
> - unless things are likely to be a real mess we don't normally use
> @ask-update for them.
>
> The problem with @ask-update is that non-interactive updates just skip
> updating the relevant package; but sometimes after an OS update the old
> package is non-functional too.
>
> There are some exceptions in-tree: freeradius 2->3 and dovecot 1->2,
> where they have multiple configuration files which don't work well
> with the @sample mechanism and they had big changes that really needed
> attention, at least a backup, before the update. But it seems this is
> not really a problem with the changes needed for gitea?

Gitea is a go binary, so in most cases the old package won't become
non-functional very soon.
I'd leave @ask-update with a message like:
"gitea-v1.20.0 fails to start if configuration contains deprecated options,
make sure your configuration is up-to-date"
And leave it for a user to decide about his config. Because:
1) There's a list of deprecated options, and gitea blames those in logs, but
still works
2) There are some deprecated options like those in [mailer] section
which make gitea silently fail
3) People can use different options in their configs. I cannot test
which one will break Gitea this or next time

I think it's the app problem, and Gitea devs still din't decide
how to fix it, e.g.:
https://github.com/go-gitea/gitea/pull/25206#issuecomment-1621292395

I'd better not keep trying to fix in the port the problems which should be
fixed in the app itself.

--
With best regards,
Pavel Korovin