On Sat, Aug 5, 2023 at 02:49 Landry Breuil <lan...@openbsd.org> wrote:

> Le Thu, Aug 03, 2023 at 05:28:45PM -0600, Morgan Aldridge a écrit :
> > On  2021-04-29, Marfaba Stewart wrote:
> >
> > > I think this is a Firefox bug and have reported it to Mozilla.
>
> Where have you reported it exactly ? https://bugzilla.mozilla.org ? if
> so, which bug number ? i dont see any bug with 'Reporter:
> marfabastew...@protonmail.com' but bugzilla search sucks sometimes..

> > Finally, after digging into date/time-related manual pages, I decided to
> > give the following a try and it resolved all the issues:
> >
> >     $ TZ=/usr/share/zoneinfo/America/New_York firefox
> >
> > I didn't find anything related TZ requirements in
> > /usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/firefox. I thought maybe there was a
> > pledge issue, but I did confirm that my unmodified
> > /etc/firefox/pledge.socket contains the following line, so it should have
>
> sorry but what makes you think the socket process is the one handling
> TZ-related things ?

Having not looked into the firefox source yet, I was just going by the
comment about /etc/localtime in /etc/firefox/pledge.socket <
http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/ports/www/mozilla-firefox/files/pledge.socket?rev=1.2&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
>:

    rpath # at least for /etc/resolv.conf & /etc/localtime

But, that said, Firefox is not crashing, so it's probably not a pledge
violation, correct?

> I'm CC-ing ports@ and the firefox maintainer in case they want to dig into
> > the issue. Alternatively, I'm happy to submit a patch to the firefox
> > pkg-readme.
>
> I'm not sure i'll be able to look into it, but i'd rather *not* document
> 'workarounds' for issues until we're sure the issue isnt fixable. Maybe
> it's pledge/unveil related, maybe not. Using ktrace to figure out which
> files the browser tries to access when handling date-related functions
> might help... and if it's not an issue happening only on OpenBSD, then
> dealing with upstream is the way to go.

Thanks, Landry, I totally understand and agree. I'll do some ktrace-ing and
see if I can see which files are trying to be accessed during date-related
functions.

Morgan
--
Morgan