On Sun, Aug 6, 2023 at 4:46 PM Edd Barrett <e...@theunixzoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 06, 2023 at 09:40:18PM +0100, Edd Barrett wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sun, Aug 06, 2023 at 05:02:59PM +0200, Florian Obser wrote:
> > > I recently discovered the iosevka font and I like the Fixed Slab
> variant
> > > best.
> >
> > First, can I check that "fixed slab" is correct and not just "slab".
>
> Arch has a "slab" package, but not a "fixed slab" package:
> https://archlinux.org/packages/?q=ttc-iosevka
>
> Same for fedora:
> https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/peterwu/iosevka/packages/
>
> Same for FreeBSD:
> https://cgit.freebsd.org/ports/tree/x11-fonts/iosevka/Makefile
>
> So is slab and fixed-slab the same thing, or?

I haven't tested yet, but according to the Iosevka website <
https://typeof.net/Iosevka/>:

"Terminal emulators have stricter compatibility requirements for fonts.
Therefore, Iosevka and Iosevka Slab all contain two specialized families,
Term and Fixed, targeting terminal users.

In these families, the symbols will be narrower to follow terminals’
ideology of column count. In the Fixed families, the ligation will be
disabled to ensure better compatibility in certain environments."

So, it might be preferable for this to install both the "term" & "fixed"
families of Iosevka Slab. Doing so would probably necessitate renaming the
package to "iosevka-slab" though.

Morgan