On 2023/08/30 07:39, Oikei wrote:
> Hello, I'm new to OpenBSD so im unsure if im doing something wrong or if im
> even posting to the right mailing list
> It has come to my attention that the net/synapse package is 14 updates behind
> and is vulnerable. I checked openbsd.app and the net/synapse package really
> is 14 updates behind, with it being on 1.76 while the latest is 1.90.
> Checking the source on github:
> https://github.com/openbsd/ports/tree/master/net/synapse
> it was updated last month and is on 1.89.
>
> So my question is, why is the latest version in the repos 1.76 when looking
> at the source its on 1.89? Sorry if I totally missed something...

You can't tell from the git mirror*, but if you look in the original
CVS repo (https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/ports/net/synapse/Makefile)
you'll see some commits with CVS tags e.g. OPENBSD_7_3 and some
without.

Those without tags are only in -current snapshots not a release.

Often ports security updates do get backported to the most recent
OpenBSD release (with binary packages built for some common cpu
archs), but synapse is a super fast changing target and very
often requires specific new versions of other ports, so it's not
a great candidate for that, it's too hard to check that all those
other updates don't break older versions of other ports.

So if you're running software like this I recommend running
snapshots and updating both base and all packages fairly often.

* (we didn't find any git conversion tool that looks at CVS tags which
can actually handle the OpenBSD repo).