Am 31.08.23 um 09:56 schrieb Jonathan Schleifer:

Am 31.08.23 um 08:26 schrieb Stuart Henderson:
SHARED_LIBS +=  objfw           1.0
SHARED_LIBS +=  objfwrt         1.0
SHARED_LIBS +=  objfwtls        1.0
I can't remember how strict we are with these version starting numbers
but iirc we start with 0.1 (?) I don't really mind if this isn't changed.
The bumpings are the more important ones anyway.
0.0.

The key thing is to make sure that changing the versions in SHARED_LIBS
changes the versions of the produced file, i.e. make sure that ports is
in control.

Ok, now I have questions :).

I was under the impression that the the SHARED_LIBS should match the .so name? This would be the case with 1.0, as upstream used 0.0 during development when there was no stable ABI/API (and users could have installed such a pre-1.0 release manually on OpenBSD). I could find https://man.openbsd.org/library-specs.7 which seems to indicate it must match the .so name, as well as lining out rules on when and how to update the version, which match upstream in this case (I can vouch for this, as I am the upstream).

Given that, wouldn't it be better to have it 1.0 instead of always one major version less than upstream?*

* Very, very early, there was a major version of as high as 8. But this was a decade or so ago and I think nobody ever used it. And on a version that was very much declared "this WILL break, don't use this for anything"

I'm happy to change it to 0.0, of course, but would really like to fully understand the implications of this. Should every port, when imported to OpenBSD, change the soname to 0.0?

--
Jonathan