On 2023/09/04 02:42, Ingo Schwarze wrote:
> However, nobody told me so far that they like the idea of showing this
> information, but one developer told me privately that they are not a fan.

FWIW I like it. Even ignoring ports, we've had problems just in base
where people have upgraded and not followed instructions about removing
old files, and been left with e.g. the fw_update(1) manual being
displayed with no indication that there's an fw_update(8).

> So, if many people use neither -w nor -a, how do you usually find out
> that there are multiple manual pages for the name you are looking for?
> Are you using
>
>   man -f printf     # but i would have expected that to be even less known?
>   man -k Nm=printf  # but that can be quite noisy IMHO...
>
> Or?

Typically locate/pkglocate for me, then sifting through the output.
But I wouldn't run that unless I _already_ suspected there might be
multiple manual pages for the name.