On 09/16 09:56, Theo Buehler wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2023 at 06:06:37PM +0000, Jeremy Evans wrote:
> > PostgreSQL 16.0 was released today:
> > https://www.postgresql.org/about/news/postgresql-16-released-2715/
> >
> > As usual, we don't plan to change the default version in ports until
> > 16.1, and after we have prepared updates all software that depends on
> > PostgreSQL to support the new version.  However, for early testing,
> > here's a diff to test with.
>
> As mentioned elsewhwere, the diff needs an installed icu4c to configure
> as it is now. I ran a bulk with '--without-icu' added to CONFIGURE_ARGS.

Thanks!  I've updated my copy to use --without-icu.  If someone wants
ICU support in PostgreSQL, please speak up and describe why.

> There are a few version checks that break some ports, as usual.
> There is at least one .so in the server that had changes amounting to a
> major bump, but for some reasone they aren't versioned. Should they be?

I believe the @so entries in PLIST-server are only designed for use by
PostgreSQL itself via dlopen.  I don't think external code should be
linking to them, and therefore there is no reason to version them.

> databases/citus                       version
> databases/pg_sqlite_fdw               version
> databases/postgresql-odbc     ?
> databases/postgresql-pllua    version
> databases/timescaledb         version
> geo/pgpointcloud              API break in -server

For these, it's best to wait a couple months till upstream has had a
chance to update.  After 16.1 is released, I'll take a look at these and
see if upstream has released a new version compatible with PostgreSQL
16, or has at least committed fixes that can be backported.

Thanks,
Jeremy