2023-11-17T15:12:22Z, "Omar Polo" <o...@omarpolo.com>:

> On 2023/11/17 13:50:16 +0000, "Johannes Thyssen Tishman"
> <li...@thyssentishman.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm working on a port that I want to run on one of my servers and
> > it just hit me that it will most probably not work since I run
> > -stable on it (the dependencies versions don't match). I thought
> > about re-making the port for stable by fetching a -stable ports
> > tree on the server directly, but the available storage space is
> > tight.
>
> This makes me think that you're using a -current tree on -stable which
> is not supported.  Often, changes are done in base and then soon after
> used in the ports infrastructure (in the previous release cycle there
> was the make' special variable .VARIABLES addition for instance.)

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I run -current on my desktop computer
where I do most of my porting and it's on my server that's running
-stable that I want to install a port.

> > Does anyone know about an alternative/workaround to this?
>
> Make the port on -current, then attempt to build in on -stable if you
> have to.  It's still something not supported, but chances are that it
> should work as-is.  It depends on the port and on its dependencies of
> course.

That's what I thought. I will deploy a vm with -stable and build
it there.

> > I'm thinking about launching a vm running -stable and just do it
> > from there, but I thought it'd be intersting to hear about other
> > strategies (if any).
>
> Either this or just use a different machine, I don't think there are
> many other ways around it.
>
> Or just run -current for the next ~4 months until the next release and
> then switch back to -stable :)

Even though I've never had problems with -current, I'd prefer to
stick to -stable on my server as it is also where I run other
services I rely on. But you are right, the wait is not long.

> > Also while here, are any new ports ever backported to stable? What
> > is the policy regarding this?
>
> I don't think new ports are backported to stable.  The policy is to
> backport only security fixes.
>
> Releases are made every six months, so it's not that much to wait for
> new/updated ports to show up for those who sticks to -stable.

Thanks Omar.

> Cheers,
>
> Omar Polo

PS. Your email landed on my spam folder and my email server only
checks for rdns and fcrdns (no {r}spamd or spamassasin}). Could it
be that they not properly configured?