Greg Steuck <gne...@openbsd.org> wrote:
> Same here. That's intentional as the underlying problem got fixed
> upstream a while ago. We removed WXNEEDED then:
>
>  Date:   Fri Jun 3 02:48:07 2022 +0000
>
>  Remove USE_WXNEEDED from lang/ghc as it's no longer needed
>
> Thanks
> Greg

OK. I'm out of my depth a bit at this point, I'm kinda just pattern
matching between my working -release vm and my broken -current laptop.
The only other ELF difference I can spot between working-release-pandoc
and broken-current-pandoc is that on -current pandoc has a .plt.sec ELF
section (like assorted other binaries on the system also do) and on -release
it doesn't. Duckduckgo suggests this could be control-flow-integrity
related, which vaguely comports with Stuart's hunch, but I don't know
enough to know if this is a real clue.

I hope I haven't found, like, a GHC bug or an LLVM bug, I dunno how I
would could run it to ground if I did. Still seems quite possible that
the bug is I screwed up something with my install but sysupgrade makes
it pretty hard to do.

Evan