On Tue, Apr 16, 2024 at 07:09:57AM +0200, Rafael Sadowski wrote:
> On Mon Apr 15, 2024 at 12:07:34PM +0200, Landry Breuil wrote:

> > > Nothing changes: I moved LIB_DEPENDS as it is from Makefile.inc to the
> > > Makefile's. This change is necessary to import
> > > multimedia/phonon-backend/vlc-qt6 otherwise
> > > multimedia/phonon-backend/vlc-qt6 depends on "multimedia/phonon>=4.12.0"
> > > which is qt5.
> >
> > that part is fine. I looked at the two ports, and it's still a bit sad
> > to have 'new ports with a -qt6 suffix' from the same tarball building
> > twice, once with qt5 and once with qt6, while it could only be built
> > once with the two qt5/qt6 backends and shipped as subpackages.. that
> > would be cleaner. Will that be only transitional, or both will coexist
> > for years ?

I think we also have to be mindful of build times at some point. That
Qt5/Qt6 duplication eats up a sizable percentage of a bulk build. And
it only ever seems to grow.

> I think this depends on how long we want ship editors/calligra and how
> long the marble (x11/kde-applications/marble) needs to move to Qt6/KF6.

I don't mean to be flippant, it's a serious question: who actually cares
about calligra and why? At some point we will need to rip off the band
aid. What prevents us from doing so right now?

Similar question about marble. Can it not be disabled until it achieves
that transition? I seem to remember that it was deemed critical in the
past, but, really, is it? Feels more like a nice to have than something
someone seriously depends on for work.