Hi,
On Wednesday, April 10, 2024 11:05 CEST, "Sebastian Reitenbach"
<sebas...@l00-bugdead-prods.de> wrote:

> On Wednesday, April 10, 2024 08:26 CEST, Giovanni Bechis <giova...@paclan.it>
> wrote:
>
> > On 4/10/24 07:10, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > My upgrade from Puppet 7 to 8 took quite a long time. They removed a lot
> > > of backward compat
> > > shim, and if you have many old and partially hand made or patched modules
> > > like I do, it took
> > > quite a while to update all of them....
> > >
> > upgrading is on my queue and I have lot of hand made modules, other then
> > that, can a Puppet 7 client connect to a Puppet 8 server ?
>
> Yes, it worked for me, it's also recommended to upgrade master (and db)
> first, then update the clients.
> Depending on your modules, you may already see some fallout when just
> upgrading the server,
> and then even more, when upgrading the agents ;)

This is now in, but just for Puppet8, I left Puppet 7 alone for now.
For anyone using Puppet8, for Puppet managed packages that have branches, you
now have to use the package name including the branch,
i.e. puppet%8, openldap-server%openldap, gimp%stable, jdk%1.8 etc. as you would
using pkg_add

cheers,
Sebastian