On 2024/06/01 17:02, Sebastien Marie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to import duckdb (https://duckdb.org/) port.
>
> DuckDB is a high-performance analytical database system. It is designed to be
> fast, reliable, portable, and easy to use. DuckDB provides a rich SQL
> dialect,
> with support far beyond basic SQL. DuckDB supports arbitrary and nested
> correlated subqueries, window functions, collations, complex types (arrays,
> structs), and more.
>
> The port installs the CLI with several extensions and the shared lib,
> but no bindings for external language.
>
> Comments or OK ?
> --
> Sebastien Marie

It would be nice to have duckdb in the tree. I think it's not quite as
fast as clickhouse-local but seems more straightforward. A few comments:

- No need to set DISTNAME, that is the default.

- Personally I would use GH_* rather than DIST_TUPLE, there's not really
an advantage to DIST_TUPLE here, and it has the downside that it doesn't
work with portroach.

- I'm a bit unsure about packaging the extensions as .a files, do they
do anything useful? I would have expected to see the shared objects
(see WRKBUILD/extension/*/*.duckdb_extension after build) instead.