Initially, I tried to update this port to version 2.53.0 but encountered
compilation errors [2] due to the lack of SipHash in LibreSSL. For a
moment, I thought I would have to add OpenSSL as a dependency to resolve
the issue. Fortunately, the I2Pd developers fixed this problem in
version 2.53.1.

Recently, another issue arose with the use of I2Pd in conjunction with
LibreSSL [1].

This problem is on -stable, not on -current.

I can confirm that i2pd-2.53.1 (the latest tagged release) runs fine on
-current, but not on -stable.

This was reported by the user SystemFailure, who has also
proposed other updates for this port in the past and appears to have
recently been testing version 2.53.1. Fortunately, the problem was finally
resolved a few days ago [2].

Well, a hack was added for -stable which we now get to run in -current
once we pull in that diff.

This hack makes i2pd-2.53.1 run on -stable, at least for me. Which I find
useful :-)

Since this "hackish" commit is not needed for -current, we can always ask the
i2pd devs to revert it when the next -stable release will be out. I'll try to remember to
do that :-)

I recommend not trying to get the developers to remove it for now, as this patch might still be useful for people using older versions of LibreSSL, not just on OpenBSD but also on Linux and other operating systems.

Therefore, I think it would be better to either
update to the latest commit or wait for the next stable version to update
the port.

I don't think so. But someone who knows how to run this software and
wants to should test...