On 2007/11/23 02:05, Soner Tari wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-11-17 at 13:54 +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> > The attached version:
> >
> > - changes mkdir/chmod for an install in MESSAGE
> > - adds notes about permissions on /dev/pf
> > - calls setgid(), so /dev/pf only needs 640 not 644
> >   (the code already assumes that username == groupname so
> >   I didn't add a new config parameter)
>
> Hmm, I think there is a problem with /dev/pf permission changes you
> make. Since there may be other proxies which can use /dev/pf (like
> smtp-gated) and they have their own uid/gid's, we should not
> change /dev/pf's group to _p3scan. Thus the only option seems like
> having 644 on /dev/pf and no group change, or perhaps a common group for
> all proxies (the later seems unlikely).

There are always more options :) here are some.

- a single 'pf-read-access' group and initgroups() in any software
which needs to access it, then they can share a supplementary group

- mknod some more devices with the same major/minor but different
ownership and let the user specify the filename

- open /dev/pf before dropping root and hold the FD, I didn't look to
see how much reworking is needed of p3scan to do this but I think it's
the most user-friendly option.