On Wednesday 28 November 2007, Nikns Siankin wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 03:49:16PM -0800, Unix Fan wrote:
> >This really is stupid, a majority of the users of OpenBSD purchased
> > 4.2 CD's.. are likely expecting it would be a supported release.
> >
> >-CURRENT is a rapidly moving target, and I don't feel like updating
> > my kernel a billion times a month... just to get the latest version
> > of firefox!!!!!
> >
> >Ports should only be updated for the "latest" release, not
> > -CURRENT...  a secure OS is nothing without secure software...
>
> I agree with you completely!
>
> Maybe some ports@ people (not openbsd developers, since they could do
> that already) could create cvs server and maintain -stable ports tree
> by themselves?
>

> I would step in.

And why the hell would you trust a third part cvs server of ports-stable
if it's not being run by the same security conscious folks who normally
handle the ports tree?

While you're at it, how many of the supported archs do you own?

Even if you happen to own the required hardware, how many of them are
running 4.2-STABLE at this moment?

http://www.openbsd.org/goals.html
* Provide the best development platform possible ...
* Focus on being developer-oriented in all senses ...

The developers run -CURRENT. It's where the real work gets done. They
dedicate their free time to making things better for the next release
and no one has the right to tell them how to spend their free time.

And guess what, I only run -STABLE (with the rare exception when a dev
asks me to do otherwise on a test box). Worse yet, I've spent the last
week of my life trying to backport the changes to KDE (and all related
audio libs) to just get aRts working again. Even if by some miracle I
succeed, do you really want to be running my Franken-Source?  -Truth be
told, *I* do not even want to be running my own Franken-Source but I
hope it won't hurt me too much to give fixing it a try (and I might be
totally wrong about the "not hurting myself" part).

You need to accept the fact that there is simply not enough free time
available for the real developers to do everything.

Kind Regards,
JCR