25 April 2008 г. 18:09:28 Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2008/04/25 17:32, Vadim Zhukov wrote:
> > Patch below adds support of a BUILD_BROKES_WHEN_INSTALLED variable.
> > If this variable is set, port's building process will be prohibited
> > if some version of port is already installed. Glib2 is a good
> > example of a port needs such prohibition.
> >
> > No manpage changes yet, I want to get response for the idea first.
>
> The build is not *always* broken when the libs are installed
> beforehand. Your change would make it a lot slower to get some
> things (e.g. small security fixes that don't change the library
> functions) tested.

Well, make BUILD_BROKES_WHEN_INSTALLED=No will help in that case... But,
of course, this is ugly.

> And imho bsd.port.mk shouldn't be providing
> crutches for GNU libtool bugs.

But if GNU will not fix 'em, who more would? :)

> If this is a problem for users, packages are usually available...

... but not always. And sometimes you need to rebuild port quickly, and
could just forget to clean up system first. At the best, you'll have to
restart build again (it's fine on my Core Duo, but what about landisk?).

But anyway I'm not a developer, and I trust OpenBSD developers. So if
it'll be decided for this feature not to go in, I'll just keep it for
myself (because I ran into mentioned problems many times, sometimes
disturbing developers without good reason by my stupidity only). :)

--
  Best wishes,
    Vadim Zhukov