On 12:23:24 Nov 20, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> [reply-to noted but not used, others can learn from the comments]

I never set the reply-to field. ;)

It is done by my MUA mutt. Anyway public discussions are always welcome.

> this is a nice idea, these could make good gifts.

It never occurred to me. I do believe that this is a great app in any
case.

> > PKGNAME =       dvdslideshow-0.8.0-1
>
> packages-specs(5)

I will read it again.

> >     cp ${WRKBUILD}/dvd-slideshow-themes-0.8.0-1/${themedir}/*
> > ${PREFIX}/share/dvdslideshow/themes/${themedir}/
>
> better to use ${INSTALL_DATA} here (and split the long lines).

Bummer. I missed it. Never mind, I will correct it presently.

> we're trying to be more specific these days (v2 only/v2+/v3+ etc).
> people always need to double-check themselves if they're in a situation
> where it matters, but it helps e.g. embedded system developers avoid
> wasting time on something if they can easily see it has a license they
> can't use.

Okay.

> ...and here is the sticky point: dvd-slideshow-themes contains fonts
> where permission to redistribute has not been granted.

Ouch. That is painful...

> e.g. the URL pointed at as the source of the "bip" font gives a zip
> which includes a font (not the same as bip.ttf included here) and a
> text file with this content:
>
>         This is a demo of a "BIP" font. The full version got accents
>         and euro.  If you want to purchase the full version please
>         contact me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>       Copyright (c) Maciej Osta?ski, 2006. All rights reserved.
>
> the Copyright notice, and "All rights reserved" rather than a
> license explaining what is permitted, means we cannot distribute
> this font.

Oh.

> JOURNAL.TTF on the claimed source website is distributed in a zip
> file with no text attached. no license to distribute.
>
> the audio files in dvd-slideshow-examples have a similar problem.
>
> as things stand we can't distribute the themes/examples.
> (and nor can sourceforge, but they do not seem to be good at
> checking this).

I will definitely ask upstream about this. Perhaps he himself does not
know this. ;)

> sometimes it's possible to educate upstream about this (then
> they could either attempt to gain proper permission, or switch
> to truly free content), other times they will just say "yeah
> whatever" and do nothing...

Thanks for looking into this.

-Girish