On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 01:51:55PM +0000, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 02:18:53PM +0100, Hannah Schroeter wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 06:18:20PM +0100, Alexandre Ratchov wrote:
> > >yes i hope this will be possible. First we have to update all ports
> > >to use libsndio, because while aucat is running, programs trying to
> > >open directly /dev/audio will fail with "Device busy".
> >
> > Couldn't aucat free the sound device after some idle time (and re-open
> > when needed), just like esd or arts do it? Then it could co-habitate a
> > bit better with applications that do not use aucat.
>
> +1
>
> For example, xmms and aucat cannot be used together right now, which
> prevents me from testing aucat altogether (I need my sound card to
> play music, you know :)

Unfortunately this requires intrusive changes that would complicate
(and weaken) aucat. It would be a lot of work for something that
will not be used in the long term.

> Converting all ports should be a long-term goal, but having a simple
> mechanism for cooperation between aucat and non-aucat apps would
> be very nice. There will likely always be new sound apps that get
> ported and initially lack a libsndio backend.

new apps will likely lack support for the sun audio api too. Adding
support for libsndio is supposed to be easier than porting them to
the sun audio api.

-- Alexandre