On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 08:20:02PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> The only Gtk+2-based apps that I run all the time are Firefox and
> Transmission.  I'm not sure if the deficiencies I see are due to
> Gtk+2 and related libraries or the apps themselves.  Anyway, for
> the record, here's my list of annoyances:
>
> * Icon size.
>   When I iconize the application, the window manager (fvwm, mwm)
>   ends up displaying some small or outright tiny icon.  48x48 icons
>   are installed, why aren't they used?  Is this somehow configurable?
>   (No, I don't mean configuring the window manager to override the
>   application icon.)
>
> * Chromatic aberration.
>   When I run the application on a remote X11 display, some fonts
>   (e.g. the one used for the menus) have colored fringes.  I don't
>   know if this is some sort of anti-aliasing gone wrong, but it
>   looks a lot like chromatic aberration in analog optics.  This is
>   definitely a problem that affects all Gtk+2-based applications.

That's caused by fontconfig. You might want to create a ~/.fonts.conf
with this:

<?xml version="1.0"?><!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
 <match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="rgba" >
   <const>none</const>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="lcdfilter" >
   <const>lcdnone</const>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle" >
    <const>hintfull</const>
  </edit>
 </match>
</fontconfig>

lcdfilter does affect subpixel (color) hinting (i think), while hintstyle
seems to affect the "crispness".
http://fontconfig.org/fontconfig-user.html for possible values.