On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 11:39:10PM -0700, J.C. Roberts wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 18:04:48 -0400 Jason Dixon <ja...@dixongroup.net>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Apr 04, 2009 at 05:54:22PM -0400, Aaron W. Hsu wrote:
> > > Hey Toby,
> > >
> > >   From weing...@tepid.org Fri Apr  3 16:07:44 2009
> > >   Subject: Re: Extending libfprint
> > >
> > >         If any of you guys can track down the programming
> > > documentation, that would be a good start to having this type of
> > > device supported...
> > >
> > > Just a thought, but it seems that my Lenovo T500 has an AES2810
> > > from AuthenTec.  Checking their website, it appears that one of the
> > > things they do is provide SDKs to interested parties.  I have not
> > > figured out what counts as a qualifying request to get the SDK, but
> > > I just thought I would ask whether anyone else has tried to obtain
> > > the documentation directly from them in this form and whether it
> > > works if they did get it?  Is Authentec just another one of those
> > > companies which refuse to give out the documentation without a host
> > > of NDAs and the like?
> >
> > From what I've read on the libfprint mailing list, yes.
>
> Is it worth the time to put AuthenTec on my open specs hit-list?

You have a good track record on these.  I'll selfishly say yes.  ;)

> Off the top of my head, there's only one system here with a finger
> scanner, Fujitsu Lifeboox 820... and I haven't even touched the damn
> thing. In short, I don't keep up with laptop development that much, so
> I'm not sure how prevalent these devices are?

Thinkpads have had the option for a while now.  I'm not sure about
other vendors.

P.S.  I look at these devices as "convenience" options, not as security
features.  The ability to bypass them is well documented.  But it would
be neat to login to my laptop at home with just a quick scan.

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting