On Monday 24 August 2009 12:51:49 Jacob Meuser wrote:
> could we move the support for win32/real/qtx codecs to a flavor?
>
> currently, one has to have machdep.userldt enabled to play WMV/WMA
> files, even if mplayer doesn't really need to load the codecs to
> play the files.  this is because when mplayer is built with support
> for the binary codecs, it tries to probe the codecs when opening
> a WMV/WMA file.  then mplayer exists asking you to enable
> machdep.userldt.  this doesn't happen if mplayer is built without
> support for the binary codecs.  it just plays the files.

Why does it not surprise me that MPlayer has such a poor default
behavior. The other multimedia players will play WMV/WMA just fine
with the native codec via FFmpeg before even attempting to fallback
and load any binary codecs. I thought maybe when MPlayer was
updated to have a newer copy of FFmpeg it would have a more sane
behavior but it seems they haven't "fixed" that yet.

After I update FFmpeg I'll be removing the support from VLC and
Xine-lib. The last thing I have ever needed to use win32-codecs for
over the years was for RealVideo 3/4 and that's taken care of now
with FFmpeg. Porters I have spoken to also seemed to be interested
in doing the same for MPlayer when it was updated. The FFmpeg
developers are very interested in receiving any files that do not work
properly with anything reasonably new (obviously our in-tree FFmpeg
is a bit old now).

believed to be clean.