On 2009/10/28 12:45, Toni Mueller wrote:
> On Wed, 28.10.2009 at 10:59:34 +0000, Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org>
> wrote:
> > if you're submitting new/updated ports, please run -current and keep
> > it fairly up-to-date so that you can check things work with what's in
> > the rest of the tree.
>
> I generally understand this argument, but there are some (local)
> problems with it:
>
> * I can't run a full -current system, at least not until OpenBSD will
>   run w/o problems on a virtual machine (XEN or KVM, in my case) / not
>   create gotchas that I can only collect flames with.

OpenBSD works reasonably well in ESXi for this sort of thing
if you really can't run -current on a real machine.

> * For ports like p5-common-sense, the difference to -current is most
>   likely negligible,

-current has Perl 5.10.1. A couple of ports have needed adjustments
to work with it (at least one, shells/zoidberg, is still broken).

> So... should I stop trying to create and/or update ports?

No, but if you're looking to get things into the tree, it helps
to make things as easy as possible for committers.