On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 09:26:13AM +0100, Sebastian Anding wrote:
> Hi,
>
> a while ago i used portage of Gentoo Linux and there is an update command
> to update the whole packages in the portage tree. Is something like that
> possible with the openbsd ports tree?

Yes, apart from libtool bugs, which may force you to remove some stuff,
as it can pick up installed libraries.

In general, we recommend that people do binary upgrades using pkg_add -u.

But you can force the ports tree to update stuff by setting
FORCE_UPDATE=hard

pkg_info -P
will give you a SUBDIRLIST from installed packages, that you can then
use to rebuild.

you might want to read closely ports(7), in particular the sections about
LOCK INFRASTRUCTURE, UPDATING PACKAGES and BULK PACKAGE BUILDING.