in case anyone was curious of the current state.

ports that have AUDIO_SETINFO in the sources and don't have ossaudio
in WANTLIB (probably are using audio(4)):

audio/gqmpeg (mixer only)
audio/libdca (example player)
audio/libmikmod
audio/libsamplerate (example player)
audio/libsndfile (example player)
audio/libworkman (has sun audio but no audio support built)
audio/rplay (has sun audio but uses generic audio; sndio backend written)
audio/soundtracker
audio/speex (example player)
audio/tracker
audio/workman (has sun audio but no audio support built)
comms/gmfsk
devel/jdk/1.7 done: patches sent to MAINTAINER
devel/mico
devel/plib done: patches sent to MAINTAINER
games/cgoban
games/crossfire-client
games/eboard
games/xblast done: patches sent to ports@
multimedia/transcode
x11/qvwm done: patches sent to ports@
x11/rdesktop
x11/xmascot

ports that have ossaudio in WANTLIB:

audio/ac3dec (example player)
audio/aumix (mixer)
audio/bonk
audio/cmu-sphinx3
audio/cmu-sphinxbase
audio/festival/core
audio/freealut done (uses audio/openal)
audio/hydrogen (backend written, port needs update to latest release)
audio/liba52 (example player)
audio/mixer.app (mixer)
audio/mp3blaster
audio/mppenc (example player)
audio/nosefart
audio/nspmod
audio/rsynth
audio/sidplay
audio/tosha
audio/waveplay (will be removed from ports?)
audio/wmix (mixer)
audio/wmmixer (mixer)
audio/xmix (mixer)
audio/xmmix (mixer)
comms/gpsk31
comms/tlf
devel/jdk/1.5 (unportable API; needs a device filehandle)
devel/jdk/1.6 done: patches sent to MAINTAINER
editors/emacs21
editors/emacs22
emulators/qemu
emulators/wine
games/gtkpool
games/quake2 (have patches to use sdl by default, need to revisit them)
games/xboing
games/xbreaky
games/xscavenger
graphics/ffmpeg
graphics/flash
graphics/fxtv
graphics/synaesthesia
math/freemat
multimedia/avidemux
multimedia/libquicktime
multimedia/recordmydesktop/base
sysutils/cdrtools
sysutils/conky
sysutils/gkrellm/plugins/volume
sysutils/tpb
telephony/pjsua (should probably just use portaudio-svn port)
x11/kde/multimedia3 (only mixer parts left, iirc)
x11/kde4/multimedia
x11/kmplayer (port marked as BROKEN)
x11/wxWidgets
x11/xawtv

about the ports where I put "(example player)".  these are audio encoding/
decoding libraries that have code to play to an audio device.  imo, kinda
dumb.  what's the point?  to test decoder?  then output to a WAV, or at
least use libao or the like.  these have a really low priority for me.

ports marked "mixer" only use the mixer interface, and are also low
priority.  use mixerctl.

if you are working on porting any of these, please let me know.

testing of patches sent to ports@ greatly appreciated also.

--
jake...@sdf.lonestar.org