does this actually work for anyone?  I tried to set an alarm, but the
audio device is never opened anywhere near the time I chose.  and even
if it does try to play the sound, I doubt it is working correctly (if
at all) on most systems, as it never sets the audio parameters.

also, the patches to use AUDIO_DRAIN are dumb, because the use of
SNDCTL_DSP_SYNC (AUDIO_DRAIN is the more-or-less audio(4) equivalent)
is dumb.  from the online opensound.com manual, "This call is
practically useless and should be avoided in applications.  The sync
operation will always cause a more or less noticeable pause or click
in the output."

--
jake...@sdf.lonestar.org