> That probably won't help.  Limits do not depend on which shell
> you are using.  Only the command to change limits depends
> on which shell you are using.
>
> So, in case your process is really needing lots of memory and
> hitting the limit, changing the limit might help, using the
> apropriate command in whatever shell you are using - for example,
> builtin "limit" in csh(1).
>
> On the other hand, in case your problem is that something is
> massively leaking memory (or some other bug causing the message),
> then raising the limit may not help.

I'll take a guess and say it's probably the process needing a lot
of memory...  I think rsync is trying to calculate a list of all
the files it needs to transfer, from the error message it spits
out.  So, looking at root's limits:

core file size          (blocks, -c) unlimited
data seg size           (kbytes, -d) 1048576
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 335017
max memory size         (kbytes, -m) 1002760
open files                      (-n) 128
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 1
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 8192
max user processes              (-u) 1310
virtual memory          (kbytes, -v) 1056768

I'll take a guess and say it's probably the max memory size that
might need help?  Or the virtual memory?

Thanks for all your help, Ingo!

Benny

--
"Show me on the doll where the marketing touched you."
                               -- "Mally" on Fazed.net