On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 09:34:22PM +0200, frantisek holop wrote:
> re aucat et al, i was wondering,
> will it ever make /etc/rc.conf?

that's the long term plan, but it's not ready yet. First, it
should be able to handle all attached devices (including
hotplugged uaudio's).

> for me, the ocassional music listener
> plus movie watcher, what are the
> obvious reasons i should be running the
> aucat sound server?

It depends on your device, if you want to only listen a
single 16-bit stereo at 44.1kHz, on a device that supports
this particular format, you won't need aucat. If the
application you use and your device don't support a common
format, you may have to use the sound server.

> there has been tons of changes since
> aucat graduated into the source tree,
> someone knowledgeable might do a nice
> writeup (maybe on undeadly?) what advanced
> audio scenarios have now became available
> because of this technology.
>
> perhaps this seems like a stupid mail,
> but i am not really an audio person outside
> the simple audio(4) consuming but i have
> been making circles around aucat for a while now
> not really sure how could i take advantage of it.

The main goal of aucat is to make any program work on any
device we support at any time; what's what we call ``audio
just works''.

The other goal of aucat is to allow simple audio
applications to work together to achieve a more "complex"
behaviour. I mean if you don't have a big program that has
all the features you need, you could use multiple small
programs that do one thing, but that work together to
achieve what the big program would do.

-- Alexandre