On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 02:44:37PM +0200, Marc Espie wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 02:31:05PM +0200, Landry Breuil wrote:
> > I see what it does. But was it really so hard to provide AN EXAMPLE ??
>
> It's possibly *not the point*, actually.
> I've sent this patch to ports@ so that interested parties may comment.
> If people don't understamd what the point of PLIST_DB is, or how it
> currently works, or why this can be strengthened/why it might be a good idea
> (or not), well, maybe they're not the target for this review.

I see what PLIST_DB does. But you make so many shortcuts 'oh this is soo
obvious i'm not going to explain this' that it is impossible to follow
your reasoning.

> > So, for whoever is interested, here was the intent of the diff (as i would
> > have like to see it explained since the beginning, for fuck's sake):
> > >From what i understand, exact versions of libs and dependencies used
> > when packaging are now registered in the plist.
>
> You've got half the point. Comparisons are allowed to return 2 and to update
> the plist... which allows wantlib and depend version numbers to go up (but
> not down) without register-plist complaining.
>
> Note that PLIST_DB is only supposed to catch pkgnames accidental fuck-ups,
> which happen from time to time, and help people debug the problems.
>
> I'll admit to being surprised that people who work with PLIST_DB on a "daily"
> basis actually know so little about what it does... :(

You'll have to admit first that you're the only one understanding
most of the framework, being it PLIST_DB, pkg_tools, or bsd.port.mk..

Landry