We are in the final stages of removing the old-style LIB_DEPENDS.

Basically, this amounts to changing
LIB_DEPENDS = foo::path/libfoo
into
LIB_DEPENDS = ::path/libfoo
WANTLIB += foo

stuff like
LIB_DEPENDS = bar.>=1,foo.>=2::path/libfoo
becoms
LIB_DEPENDS = ::path/libfoo
WANTLIB += bar.>=1 foo.>=2

please do not put any port in the tree that still has library specs
at the front of LIB_DEPENDS.  make package will already warn, and I
suspect it will become an error in less than a week.

(if you're working on ports, you're running current, right ? right ?)

Once all the old LIB_DEPENDS are gone, I will remove the corresponding code
right away, and make the *DEPENDS smarter.  Yes, it means all the extra :
will vanish, since the expressions will be fully unambiguous, and we can
then use
BUILD_DEPENDS = devel/bison
or
LIB_DEPENDS = path/libfoo
without further ado
and still have stuff like LIB_DEPENDS = tk->=8.4,<8.5:x11/tk
without any ambiguity...