On Sat, Jan 01, 2011 at 01:23:12PM +0100, Andreas Vögele wrote:
> It seems that the port so far didn't take into account that the
> p5-IO-KQueue package could be installed on the system. Since the
> KQueue-based file watcher quickly exceeds the maximum number of open
> files in a default OpenBSD installation, I changed ChangeNotify.pm to
> prefer the Default watcher even if IO::KQueue is available. I think this
> is more reasonable than to ask the users to raise their openfiles and
> maxfiles limits from 128 and 7030 to much higher values.

Ok. What about users, who altered their system already, and have raised
kern.maxfiles and openfiles-cur in login.conf(5) for example, for
gam_server (see gamin package).

Not that I am using ChangeNotify.pm, but what is default watcher in that
module? Which watcher is more efficient? Does your change (to not use
IO::KQueue as default watcher) help the user of ChangeNotify.pm in any way?

As wrote above, I'm not using module in subject, but I have concerns
for changing defaults.. I'm asking as I feel I'm missing something to
understand reasoning.

--
best regards
q#