On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 09:37:47PM +0200, Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse wrote:
> Still wondering if cairo's pkgconfig files are bad, or this one port is just
> being nasty.

AFAIK hs-cairo uses pkg-config --libs cairo ... to link some config
test program.  This fails with the new pkg-config. Wether to blame
pkg-config or the cairo .pc files -- I don't know. All I know is
that pkg-config (the freedesktop.org one and now our reimplementation)
and the cairo .pc files seem to match the way linking is done on
typical linux systems, where something like -lcairo seems to pull
in everything else automagically. I think the whole concept of using
libs.private in *.pc files for static linking is related to this.

Jasper and i talked a little bit about this, and the plan is to
resolve it during p2k11. Until then, either the cairo .pc files
have to be patched or I have to hack and "fix" hs-cairo. I prefer the
former, because if something like

        gcc -o foo `pkg-config --libs cairo'

fails with errors about undefined references to symbols from shared
libraries libcairo depends on, pkg-config (or cairo.pc) would be
useless.

Ciao,
        Kili